Saturday 20 October 2012

Happy Birthday to Me! AKA Thailand: Day 1



October 19

 Hilarious Bench/Ad in Bangkok

This is the summary of my first full day in Thailand. It also happened to be my birthday.
I woke up in the morning stupidly early for some reason, even though I was still very tired. I guess the flights and a few hours here and there of sleep will mess up your sleep schedule for sure. At least we woke up on time for breakfast at the hotel. Breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant and was buffet style. There were many foods I didn’t recognise, and foods I wouldn’t normally eat for breakfast. Dishes like curry chicken for example. I decided to play it safe and go with toast, a croissant, and watermelon. It felt good to eat fruit again after the not-so-great airplane food. 

After breakfast, we checked in with OEG. I was also able to buy a phone, and the OEG staff helped us set it up. Many other people participating in the Teach in Thailand program were also checking in and setting up their phones. One of the OEG staff lived in Canada for a year during high school. It’s been nice to find Canadian connections – most of the people in our orientation are from the USA. It’s also amazing the variety of accents that exist between us, some more subtle than others. I wonder what I sound like to the other participants...eh? 

Anyway a big group of us decided to wander around our hotel. We stopped at a 7-11 for various items. 7-11s are everywhere in Thailand: I think I’ve walked by 3 just in the vicinity of our hotel. You can buy almost anything there, including food, alcohol, electronics, and top-up cards for your phone. After that, we found a market that featured almost anything you could want – clothes, food, jewelry, sunglasses, movies, odds and ends, you name it. I bought an adaptor for my laptop (the hotel room doesn’t have 3-pronged outlets) for 20 baht. I could have bartered if I wanted to, but I felt slightly ridiculous for buying an adaptor for less than a dollar Canadian. There are food stands and restaurants everywhere, making all sorts of items. Stir fries, noodles, pastries, or fresh fruit packages. 

 The Market - I don't know the actual name

In the afternoon, a smaller group of us decided to go more into Bangkok (the hotel is not very close to downtown) and continue wandering. To get there, we took a taxi from out hotel to the nearest Sky Train stop, Mo Chit Station. The Sky Train is basically like the Scarborough train but MUCH better. It also provided great views of the city. There was a slight mix up when we got off: for the sky train, the fair you pay depends on how far you need to go. So you purchase a ticket for x amount, and put it through the machine to get into the station. Once you get off, you have to re-enter your ticket to be let out (I guess so people can’t ride for longer than they paid). We made the typical tourist amount of paying the wrong amount, but we sorted it out with the help of the transit officers. We got off at Siam station, which seemed to be a pretty busy shopping district. There was a fancy looking mall, as well as street after street of small shops. SO many shoes! I didn’t buy anything as I was mainly interested in taking in the scenery, but some of the other girls (note: the girl to guy ratio in the program is about 10:1) bought some clothing. All I know is you can buy shoes for about 220 Baht – about $7. Things went pretty well – a couple people tried to get us to take “boat rides” or other... shenanigans, but we politely turned them down and kept walking. We also stumbled into a park with these really amazing trees. See below for pictures. 

Fancy Mall

Wanderings. Note the Bright pink taxi.

 Park @ Siam

After our wander, we returned to the hotel, where I had a lovely nap. In the evening, Anna and I went for dinner at an outdoor restaurant across the road. I again decided to play it safe and get stir fried vegetables – pretty tasty. We ordered beer with our meal, and were brought these MASSIVE bottles, probably almost 2 pints worth for $2. Amazing... Then it was back to the hotel for relaxation and a well-deserved early bed-time. 

And that was how I spent 23rd birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment