Wednesday 10 October 2012

167 Hours to Go!



DISCLAIMER: This is my first log post EVER so bear with me for any incompetencies that arise.

Today marks the “one week to go” point in my preparations. I am departing Oct 17 at 9:10am... Meaning I have to get to the airport super early. That’s exactly what I need to start a over 24-hour stint of travel. I haven’t really been able to sleep on planes before, but I’m hoping that throughout my travels I’ll e exhausted enough to sleep/avoid turning into a zombie-person. The longest flight I’ve been on to date is from Montreal to Amsterdam. The flight from Chicago to Bangkok (with an hour-long technical stop in Tokyo) is over 22 hours. Wheee... In the most recent flight to Europe I undertook, I was seated next to a small child who, when lying on the seat, kicked me the entire flight. Sleep did not happen. On the way back, we were seated with a bunch of children travelling by themselves. The screamed and ran around the whole time.  Oh well.

ANYWAY I’m spending most of my time getting ready to leave. I created a TO DO list that had about 20 different items, including pack suitcase, buy shoes, and buy leech socks. (Note: this is probably the thing I am most afraid about travelling in Thailand – the existence of Land Leeches. I HATE leeches. Just the thought of them makes my skin crawl... But I’ll deal with that when I get there. They are found in rain forests which I would really like to visit.) Yesterday, I managed to knock off about a third of the list, so am hoping things continue to move ahead.  

So, with one week to go, I still have to pack my bags, run various errands/complete various tasks, photocopy my important documents, finish reading “The Practise of English Language Teaching” (I can pull it off if I read about 2.5 chapters a day...), and learn more Thai. Thai is VERY HARD to learn... At the moment, I can introduce myself, say I’m Canadian, and count to 10 (kind of). This is after several weeks of attempting to learn. Winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment