Tuesday 7 May 2013

Traveling!!! Vietnam: Hanoi and Ha Long Bay



Travelling – March 23-26... Hanoi and Ha Long Bay

Sooo it’s been quite a while since my last post. I have been traveling around since March 23 – basically 6 weeks. I’m now back in my apartment/Thai home, and it’s time to play catch up. I think the best way to go it to go week by week. Starting at the beginning:

On March 23, I flew from Bangkok to Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam. I arrived in Hanoi at 9 or so in the morning and even though the flight was short, I was already feeling pretty frazzled. Getting my visa took a long time and my bag took forever to come up. I had arranged a pick up from the airport to my hostel – I figured it would be easier than taking a taxi, seeing as I had no idea where I was going. Unfortunately, the person picking me up was nowhere to be found (they were supposed to have a sign with my name). So after wandering around for about half an hour, I found a phone and called the hostel. Eventually, the driver found me. Not the smoothest start to my travels. 

Driving in Hanoi is a nightmare – i’m just going to say that right there. When I first got to the car, I was very disoriented as we were driving on the right again. In Vietnam, people use their horns CONSTANTLY. It’s usually a way of alerting people around them they are passing or what not, but a lot of the time, I couldn’t see any reason... Signs and traffic lights are seen more as suggestions – at one point our driver was driving in the on-coming traffic lane for quite a while. It was slightly terrifying, but made it to the hostel in one piece.
 
On the first day, I just wandered around the city with a map from the hostel. This is my favourite way to explore a new place. Hanoi is a very nice city – many old and small buildings. Many of the streets have massive trees on the sidewalks. Although it is the capital, it had a bit more of a small city feel. Except for the thousands of motorcycles...

The first place I stopped was the Hoa Lo Prison, also known as the “Hanoi Hilton” among American POWs  during the Vietnam War. The prison was originally built by the French, and used to hold Vietnamese while the country was a French colony. During the Vietnam War, the north Vietnamese used the prison to house American POWs, mostly pilots who had crashed in the north. One of the most famous Americans to pass through was Senator John McCain. However, the museum focuses mostly on the Vietnamese held there by the French. One thing that is fascinating about Vietnam is you realise how subjective history is. For example, the museum described the Vietnam War as an attempt by the Americans to take over the country, like the French imperialists. It is also very one sided – at one point, I was watching a video that LITERALLY said the American POWs should have considered themselves lucky to be held prisoner in this prison, as they were treated so well. However, while I was there, a guided American tour group was there. I followed them around a bit to get some free info: the guide was ONLY talking about the Americans who had stayed in the prison. History is a funny thing...

How the prisoners were held
Senator John Mcain...? McCain?
 
After that, I continued to wander around, past the Opera House, and Hoan Kiem Lake. On the lake, there is a small island which has a temple on it, Ngoc Son Temple. It was beautiful – temples in Vietnam have much more of a Chinese influence than those in Thailand. I then sat on a bench to enjoy the view. While I was there, a few young Vietnamese people came up and asked if they could chat with me for a while (so they could practice their English). They were very friendly – although, like many Vietnamese people I would meet, they kept asking “Are you married?”, followed by “Why aren’t you married?”. Haha. 
 
Opera House
 
 
 
Traditional dress for women

That night, my friend Anna and I went to dinner and beer in a nearby restaurant. Beer and food is pretty cheap in Vietnam. Beer Hoi is super cheap... but super gross... In the evening, we wandered around the city some more.
 


Sunday the 24th was much the same. In the morning, I wandered over to the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. The line was ridiculously long, so I decided I didn’t want to see it that badly. After, I wandered through the city back in the direction of the hostel. I found the old citadel of Hanoi, which was really neat to walk around in. In the afternoon, we met up with a friend Anna had met who lived in Hanoi (a Norwegian working at the embassy). So it was fun to meet up with someone who knew the city. He took us to a nice restaurant and showed us some good things to order. We then went to his apartment, and drank a few beers on the roof. The view was amazing! After, we found a bar and hung out there for a while. For street food in Hanoi, everyone sits on these tiny little plastic stools on the sidewalk/spilling onto the road. Everyone also eats a ridiculous amount of sunflower seeds. So we followed their example. Fun times!

Temple of Literature
 
Ha Long Bay:

Monday morning, I left Hanoi for a tour of Ha Long Bay. I signed up with the tour offered by my hostel, Central Backpacers. The tour started with about 4 hour bus ride from Hanoi to the coast. Not especially exciting. There were about 16 people on the tour I believe: a family from Malaysia, a group of teachers (American, Scottish, Welsh) from Korea, 3 Danish girls, a British pair, and 3 other Canadians, 2 parents and their daughter. We boarded our ship, “The Imperial Junk” (haha), and set off towards the bay. For those of you that don’t know, Ha Long Bay is considered one of the natural wonders of the word: it consists of 3000+ limestone islands in the Gulf of Tonkin. Although the weather was overcast, it was still amazing! You don’t feel like you are on the ocean at all...We cruised around the islands for a while, then stopped at the main cave in the Bay... Can’t remember the name. It was massive though and had many neat rock formations. After that, we paddled around on kayaks. It was lovely.

The next day, they took us back to the Harbour. On the way, our guide gave a demonstration on how to make Vietnamese spring rolls, one of the most popular Vietnamese dishes. MMmmmm...

I stayed the night of the 26 in Hanoi – I was departing early on the 27th for my trip to Ba Be National Park, which you can read about in my next post! This one is long enough alrea








 


No comments:

Post a Comment