Thursday 13 December 2012

That episode where Lisa takes the bus by herself, Part 2



Sangkhlaburi


On Sunday, December 2, after a couple of nights it Kanchanaburi, it was time for me to make my way to Sangkhlaburi. Sangkhlaburi is one of the western-most cities in Thailand, and is quite close to the border with Myanmar. It is also known for its wilderness, and it’s a bit more off the beaten track. It is also near a whole bunch of national parks, such as the Khao Laem National Park.
I left Kanchanaburi pretty early – I decided to take a minibus/van as it would be a lot faster than the bus (which was supposed to take 5 hours but they always take longer than what it says in Lonely Planet). I caught the minivan by the bus station and was on my way at 8:45am (you get into the swing up early in Thailand. It’s also not as hot in the mornings...). The ride went pretty smoothly, but I did notice our driver was drinking Red Bull. This didn’t affect things much until we got to the last stretch of road to Sangkhlaburi. It was like to roads around my family’s cottage in the Laurentians but way worse – steep, and very windy. And our driver took them all at top speed. Needless to say I was feeling a bit queasy by the time we arrived. But it was a lovely drive through wilderness and national parks. 

In Sangkhlaburi, we were dropped off in the market. The town of Sangkhlaburi is quite small, there are a couple main roads, a few residential roads, and that’s about it. I had no idea how to get to my guest house, so after a bit of wandering, I hopped on another motorcycle taxi. It was a much nicer ride this time. I arrived at P Guest House, had lunch, and checked in. It was GORGEOUS. There was the main hotel building with the restaurant, but most of the rooms were on the lawn that led to the Khao Laem Reservoir. There was lots of grass, a few trees and some pretty stone chairs. My room was nothing special – bed and a fan – but the rest of the guest house was fantastic. 


In the afternoon, I walked over to the Mon Bridge – the longest wooden footbridge in Thailand. It leads from Sangkhlaburi to the “Mon Village” across part of the reservoir. The Mon are an ethnic group that live largely in Burma/Myanmar, near the border with Thailand. There has been conflicts with the Mon in Burma and in the northeastern states, and as a result, many Mon have fled to Thailand as refugees. Although some things are better in Thailand, they have fewer rights than native Thais. One example is their movement in the country is restricted, and they are only allowed in certain areas. While in the area, I drove through many immigration checkpoints for this purpose. We stopped at several during the trip from Kanchanaburi to Sangkhlaburi – I was worried at first because I only had a photocopy of my passport (and I wasn’t really sure what was going on). But the photocopy was fine, as it wasn’t me they were worried about  - it was any Mon people going where they weren’t supposed to.

ANYWAY the Mon village was neat – nothing too crazy. I went for a nice walk up to the temple and then went back to the guest house. For dinner, I went back to the market. The one downside of P guest house is their restaurant prices were quite steep. In the market, I bought some fruit and had banana and egg rotee – kind of like a fried crepe. SO GOOD! While I was eating my rotee, a little Thai boy came running over to play. He was so cute! He really liked my sunglasses and I made faces. Hehe. I still wasn’t really sure how to get back to the guest house, so I took another motorcycle taxi home. For the rest of the evening, I drank my 7-11 beer and read the 2nd Game of Thrones book. It was great.

On Monday, I decided to get up early and watch the sun rise. It was very pretty! Later, I went on a tour/activity with P Guest House. There were 3 other people on the tour: 2 French Canadian ladies and a Malaysian man. I have met a fair number of Canadians here, by the way. Anyway, we first went for a boat ride on the reservoir. The Khao Laem reservoir was created due to the construction of the Vachiralongkorn Dam in 1983. As a result, the former town of Sangkhlaburi was flooded. One of the sights on the boat ride was the roof of the sunken temple, Wat Sam Prasop. We then rode the boat into the National Park. The scenery was beautiful – so green and lush. We also rode by some neat cliffs and rock formations. We saw several different types of birds.


We docked at a small Karen village (the Karen are one of Thailand’s hill tribes). We then went on an elephant ride through the forest. I was so happy to get back into nature, even on the back of an elephant. I was riding with the Malaysian man, and chatted about travelling in Asia and Canada. I also felt super proud of myself when the elephant mahout asked the Malaysian man if he spoke Thai, and I understand what he said. BAM! After an hour or so, we stopped for lunch (fried rice and pineapple) by the river.

After lunch, we were to go rafting on the river. First we had to walk to the stop where the rafts were. This included crossing the river several times – it wasn’t deep but the water was fast running and the rocks at the bottom were quite slippery. It was definitely an adventure – I think I enjoyed it a lot more than the other 3. I thought it was fun! I should also mention that our guides were Karen and didn’t speak English OR Thai. So we communicated through gestures and whistling-type noises.  We eventually made it to the rafts (made of bamboo) and set off down the river. We just stood there and our guides steered us – I was amazed I didn’t fall off! We reached a quieter spot and went for a swim. So nice... After we had enough, we were taken back to the village and hopped in the boat back to the guest house. I then walked to the Mon Village again, and saw the large pagoda at the other end of town.

The river we crossed and rafted down


The sunset was spectacular

On Tuesday, I decided to go to the 3 Pagodas pass, which is a border crossing with Myanmar. We aren’t allowed to leave the country before all our paper work is processed, but I thought it would be un to go – there’s also a market there. To get there, I took a sawng-tao from the “bus station” (read: patch of dirt with a place to sit) in Sangkhlaburi. The ride took about 40 minutes I think, and was beautiful. 3 Pagodas was neat, but there wasn’t much to do there. I walked around, checked out the market, but went back after only a couple hours. Back at the hotel, I went for a nice relaxing swim in the reservoir... that is before I was interrupted by an Australian soccer team of 18 year old boys. So much for relaxation! In the evening, I went to a nearby restaurant for dinner, and read more of my book.

On Wednesday, it was time to head back to Phra Pradaeng. I was wuite sad to leave the beautiful scenery and the clean air... But all vacations have to come to an end, right? Wednesday (December 5) is also a holiday in Thailand. It is the King’s Birthday, which is also Father’s Day. It’s probably one of the biggest, if not THE biggest holiday in Thailand. Many cities have parades or fairs, and everyone wears yellow (the King’s colour).  But buses were running as usual, and I didn’t get a chance to participate. Oh well.

 Anyway, I got up early, checked out and walked to the market to catch a minivan. I had decided to split up the journey by taking one minibus to Kanchanaburi, and from there, another to Bangkok. It was about the same price and faster. On the way to Kanchanaburi, I was with a few Mon families. They were really nice – one offered me some of their snacks: dried prunes coated with sugar. Not my favourite but I wanted to be polite. I offered them some cookies, but they turned them down. The ride back was uneventful, except for a couple moments. At one point, one of the kids in the van threw up (due to the crazy roads) so we had to pull over while the driver literally hosed down the van. But it got rid of the smell! Another time, we stopped at an immigration checkpoint and they made some of the Mon people get out, and also told me to get out. I started to panic a bit, thinking “Oh crap. I hope my photocopy is ok. I’m sure they don’t speak English. What if they ask me questions? WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???). But the immigration officer took one look at my “passport” and sent me back to the van. Phew! All the other immigration checkpoint went smoothly for me, as well as for everyone else in the van.

I arrived back in Bangkok around 4, and from there took another bus home. I finally feel comfortable with the Bangkok public transportation. I know which buses go to where I live, and were/how to catch them. Hooray!

All in all, it was a really fun adventure. Just what I needed. Travelling solo went pretty smoothly as well – it was nice to get away from constantly being surrounded by the people of Bangkok. I would like to go back at some point and do some real hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment