Monday 19 November 2012

Nooo... I heard it on Baywatch



Hua Hin

This past weekend, I went to Hua Hin with my friend Karima. Karima is living right inside Bangkok, and hadn’t taken any trips yet, so we decided it was time for the beach! 

Hua Hin is a beach and town about a 3 hour drive from Bangkok. In the 1920s, the King at the time “discovered” the beauty of Hua Hin, and would vacation there. Now, it is mostly a tourist beach destination. It is also an active fishing area and one of the main draws to the area is it’s seafood.
On Friday night, I took the bus into Bangkok – the plan was for me to crash at Karima’s so we could make an early start the next day. It was my first time getting into Bangkok by myself, and it went relatively smoothly. I took the 138 bus from my area to Mo Chit bts station. The one small hiccup occurred as I was trying to get off the bus. I went to get off, and the Thai bus attendant came over and said we weren’t at Mo Chit yet (when I say “say”, I mean it was a mix of Thai and English and lots of gestures). But I could SEE we were there, or I was at least where I needed to be, as I needed to catch another bus to Karima’s place. Just so you know, Mo Chit station is part of the BTS skytrain, so the station is massive and hard to miss. And the last time we look the 138 to Mo Chit, the attendant also said we weren’t there yet and told us to stay on... We ended up in the middle of nowhere. So I tried to tell the attendant it was fine, and I would get off here. He started talking loudly in Thai and I had no idea what he was saying. But I knew I could get off, so I just walked down the steps and hopped off. At this point, the bus had started to drive away, but we weren’t going very fast.

I also managed to get the bus to Karima’s area without incident. I met her at the stop, we got some ice cream from McDonalds, and walked to her apartment. We went to bed fairly early so we could leave ASAP in the morning.

Saturday we woke up a bit before 7 am – that’s one good thing about the early start for the school day here, you get used to getting up early  - and took a taxi to Victory Monument. There you can catch mini-buses/vans to just about anywhere. We found a bus, bought our tickets and were on our way. The ride took just under  hours, and was mostly south west. We arrived in Hua Hin around noon, I think. We walked from where we were dropped off to the grocery store, Tesco lotus. After a quick stop there, we found a really cute guesthouse to stay for the night. It was called Ramayah and it was very nice. We paid about 800B for the night (400 each) and had AC, a private bathroom, a balcony, and a pool. And it was also about a 20 second walk from the beach. So we dumped our stuff, and headed down.

The beach at Hua Hin is lovely. Like Ko Samet, it had lovely white sand and palm trees along the sand. The water was a bit colder, which I didn’t really mind! We had lunch on the beach and went for a swim. We also walked along the beach into Hua HIn town, which was much nicer than walking on the road. There were the usual vendors walking along the beach, as well as Thais on horseback, offering rides. There were some other tourists there, but it was much quieter than I expected. I guess it is still the low season. 

In the evening, we went for dinner in the famous night market. They close down one of the roads in the town, and stalls open up. I always love walking in markets: there is so much to see! We bought dinner from a street vendor, and it was delicious. We also didn’t feel like spending lots of money at the fancy restaurants. Many of these restaurants had very cool displays of the available seafood: fish, shrimp, crustaceans and huge Thai lobsters. For desert, we got banana and nutella rote (similar to a crepe) and it was also delicious. We also stumbled upon a "fish spa" - this is where you put your feet in a tank of little fish and they eat the dead skin off your feet. It was very bizarre! and cool! After, our feet did feel very soft.



After the market, we walked around the bar district to find a place for drinks. However, all of the bars were occupied by middle aged white men and their Thai “girlfriends”, so we were not to keen on these places. It also started to pour rain. At this time, we went into the nearby Hilton hotel, and disrecetely rode the elevator to the top floor. There was a great view of the city, as well as the storm over the water. Worth it! Once the rain died down, we walked along the beach back to our hotel.

In the morning, it was quite stormy. It rained for a bit, but once it stopped, the wind was still blowing and there were lots of angry looking clouds. We went for a long walk down the beach towards a temple/shrine at the point. The water was all wavy and choppy – it reminded me of Ipperwash Beach on Lake Huron when the wind blows from the north. It was pretty cool. Eventually, the beach ended and seawalls took over. It wasn’t deep by the walls, but we decided we’d rather not get swept out to sea, so we turned back. We went for a swim in the hotel pool, then packed up our stuff. We checked out, had lunch in the town, and caught a van back to Bangkok. The ride was fine, but I’m pretty sure our driver was on crack. He was driving ridiculously fast, and weaving around other cars. We were also in the very back, so we were jostled around quite a bit. But we survived!

We arrived back in Bangkok around 4:30PM and I decided to head back home. I took the BTS to a bus stop that would take me back to Phra Pradaend. I had gone into Bangkok this way before, but left the city by this route, so I was nervous about being able to find the bus stop. But, I found it really easily and a bus arrived about 30 seconds later. It was a nice evening ride, and I arrived back home safe and sound.

Hua Hin was lovely, but the next time I travel, I want to go somewhere other than the beach. Also, if I had to pick between Ko Samet and Hua Hin, I would pick Ko Samet – it was more natural (it is a national park). But it was a lovely weekend, and great to finally get to do a trip with Karima!

No comments:

Post a Comment